The Grand Island Highway Department provides a wide variety or services including:
- Issue permits for work to be performed in Town Highway right-of-ways.
Driveway culvert permits
Road push or boring permits
Open road cuts
Power and telephone pole location permits and gas line permits.
- Snow and ice removal on all Town roads and roads owned by Erie
County which are done under contract.
- The upkeep of all Town owned roads.
Patching - hot patching in summer, cold patching in winter
- Road sweeping on Town roads, curbed areas mostly.
- Roadside mowing of Town roads.
- Traffic control sign installation and maintenance.
- Maintenance of roadside ditches.
Installing driveway culverts-by permit
Installing pipe across the premises-by permit
- Maintenance for Town vehicles for all Town departments.
Highway Superintendent, James B. Tomkins states that there are approximately 129 miles of roads on Grand Island, of which 73 miles belong to the Town of Grand Island; the rest are divided up among the Erie County Highway Department, the Department of Transportation and the New York Thruway. If you are not aware of which roads you live on, please refer to the list below submitted for your convenience. Do not be confused in the wintertime, as the Grand Island Highway Department, under contract, plows all County owned roads.
Roads owned by Erie County and maintained by the Erie County Highway Dept.
Stony Point Road, from E. River to South Bridge
Baseline Road from E. River to Bush Road
East River Road from Baseline to Bush Road.
Huth Road, Long Road, Love Road, Whitehaven Road & Bush Road.
Call the Harlem Road Maintenance Shop at 823-4243 or 825-6996.
Roads owned by the D.O.T. New York State Department of Transportation.
West River Parkway
South Parkway (Beaver Island)
Grand Island Blvd. (Rt. 324)
You may call 438-2396 for all Departments of Transportation Roads.
Superintendent of Highways
James B. Tomkins